Emergency vehicles, such as ambulances, firetrucks, and police cars, must often travel above the speed limit and drive through traffic lights to reach their destination quickly. This could lead to a serious accident. Emergency vehicle accidents are an increasing concern in today’s society, and several studies have been conducted to determine the number of accidents that occur each year.
The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) released a report in 2014 that provided statistics on ambulance accidents from 1992-2011. Furthermore, the NHTSA and the United States Fire Administration (USFA) have estimated that firetruck accidents are the second leading cause of fatalities for firefighters on the job. A police vehicle report released in 2012 found that a person is killed in a pursuit-related crash every day in the United States.
Here’s What the Research Shows:
- Accidents involving ambulances
- There are approximately 6,500 ambulance accidents every year in the U.S.
- Nearly 60% of ambulance accidents occur during emergency use
- Nearly 35 people are killed and 2,600 are injured in ambulance accidents each year
- Emergency medical personnel are at greater risk of a crash than other first responders
- Accidents involving police cars
- Police officers have double the rate of car accidents per million vehicles driven as the general public
- Pursuit-related accidents cause more than 300 deaths each year in the U.S.
- More than 30% of fatalities are people not involved in the pursuit
- Accidents involving firetrucks
- Rollover accidents cause 66% of all firetruck crashes
- Approximately 70% of firetruck accidents occur while in emergency use
- There were about 31,600 firetruck accidents from 2000-2009
Aggressive Representation for Accident Victims in Woodbridge, NJ
At Palmisano & Goodman, P.A., we are passionate about helping our clients seek the highest amount of compensation available. If you have been injured in an emergency vehicle accident, we will discuss your options for pursuing a settlement. We understand you are going through a very difficult time, and will handle the legal issues of your case so you can focus on healing. From start to finish, our Woodbridge car accident attorneys will prepare your case, answer your questions, and help you make informed legal decisions.
Contact us today to schedule a free consultation with a member of our team.