Common Slip & Fall Locations
Slip and falls can occur practically anywhere. Each location will each present unique circumstances which affect the process and outcome of an insurance claim or lawsuit.
The following are the common types of locations which frequently experience slip and falls:
- Supermarkets and big box stores
- Hotels and resorts
- Small businesses
- Rented apartments and homes
- Private homes
- Public spaces
Why the Location of a Slip & Fall Matters
A slip and fall insurance claim or lawsuit aims to identify the parties legally responsible for causing, or failing to repair, dangerous conditions which they were aware of, or should have known about, before the injury and hold those parties liable to pay monetary damages. While an injury at a private residence is often the fault of a property owner, an injury in a department store may be the fault of multiple parties.
The following are the important factors that need to be identified to determine how to approach a slip and fall case:
- Maintenance expectations – It is imperative to determine if the defendant should have taken preventative measures to avoid slip and falls from happening. Grocery stores will be expected to react quickly to hazardous conditions while a private homeowner may have more flexibility and time to identify and react to any dangers on their property.
- Individuals involved – The persons who either directly caused the slip and fall accident or who respond afterwards often depends on where it takes place. In large stores, employees may arrive at the scene of an accident and intervene depending on what position they hold in the company. These behaviors by employees can influence a case.
- Control over conditions – It is a priority to determine whether or not a party is liable for an accident by identifying if the party had possessed control over the conditions. While landlords or tenants may be in situations where the condition is caused by a guest or a person they have no control over, large stores or hotels have many employees who can cause hazardous conditions that employers are often liable for.
- Who to file a claim against – Some cases have only one individual, while others have various parties responsible for a slip and fall accident.