The general understanding is that pedestrians always have the right of way; however, drivers are still often careless and do not respect a pedestrian’s rights. This is why a significant number of pedestrians are killed on a daily basis in an auto accident, collision, or another incident.
At Palmisano & Goodman, P.A., our Woodbridge personal injury lawyers strive to help those who have been wronged, harmed, or injured due to negligence. It is our hope that we can help you find rightful compensation after a pedestrian accident or any other type of traffic accident.
Below, we offer some safety tips that may help you after an accident:
- Stay visible. Make eye contact with drivers so that they are aware of your presence. If you are walking or taking a jog at night, try to wear light, bright colors, or even reflective clothing, which can help you be more visible at night.
- Be alert. Be aware of your surroundings. If you wear noise-canceling headphones, for example, it can close you off from the outside environment. You may not be able to hear a call that is quickly approaching.
- Walk only on the sidewalk. Or, keep to designated areas meant for pedestrians if you are not walking on the street.
- Always look before crossing. This rule of thumb has been ingrained in our minds since we were children, but there is a good reason for this. Pedestrian and traffic signals might not always be reliable. They cannot warn you of a driver who decides to barrel right through a red light or a stop sign, as examples.
- Assume vehicles will not stop. Communicate with drivers with hand signals or gestures, and be sure to maintain eye contact. We cannot anticipate what a driver is thinking or what might be distracting him or her in that moment to stop and let you pass.
Injured in Pedestrian Accident? Contact Us!
If you were injured in a pedestrian accident, our Woodbridge personal injury attorneys know that this is a serious incident and needs due care and attention. We have more than 40 years of experience fighting for the rights of the injured and have achieved millions in settlements and verdicts. Between the medical bills and other expenses, you may have an uphill battle to climb. We can help you take action against careless or reckless drivers, and help you find the compensation you deserve.
If you have any questions or would like to begin your case, please contact us today to schedule an appointment. Please give us call at (732) 709-4400.