Many people know that they should see a doctor after an accident. But seeking timely medical treatment is just as important. Whether or not you are in severe pain, always see a physician after being involved in a car accident, slip and fall, or another incident.
Here’s why it is important that you see a doctor as soon as possible after any type of accident:
- Insurers may use delayed treatment as a reason to minimize your settlement. When insurers see a gap in your medical treatment, they may think that your injuries are not as serious as you claim. Delayed treatments can also increase the likelihood that insurers will dispute or deny your claim.
- Your injury might get worse if you wait. The longer you wait, the harder it may be to effectively treat your injuries. This could also mean more expensive treatments, longer treatment times, and less chances of a recovery. Timely medical treatments are important to your health, and can help reduce overall medical costs.
- You may not feel injured, even though you did sustain an injury. Not all injuries show up at the time of an accident. Some injuries may take hours or even days. Head injuries in particularly often have subtle symptoms that can only be diagnosed using CT scans and MRIs.
- There are time limits for injury claims. If the statute of limitations for your injury claim passes, you lose your right to seek compensation for your injuries. File your claim as soon as possible to make sure that you have enough time to dispute your claim in court if necessary.
- Your doctor can help document your injuries for your claim. Having thorough medical records that document your injuries is important. Your doctor will know what type of paperwork to provide and help you understand the extent of your injuries.
Immediately after any type of accident, don’t forget to seek proper medical treatment. Not only is this beneficial to your health, it can also improve your chances of recovering fair compensation. For more information on how our Woodbridge injury attorneys can help represent you after an accident, call Palmisano & Goodman, P.A. We are here to guide you through the insurance claim process and fight for you.
Start with a free consultation.